3.13.2010

Convert Cookies



In an effort to go easy on my lungs, I decided that it was time to experiment with making edibles. I had done this in the past in a half baked manner the way many herbal cooking newbs might. I would throw an 1/8 ounce of nice cannabis in some oil, simmer it for a bit, then hope for the best.

Wrong.

Part of the problem was a lack of lipids in the oil. I was going for canola oil instead of butter because I don't eat animal products. With guidance from my friend, a cannabis-infused-food guru and a few articles, I came to coconut oil. This is a really good vegan cannabis cooking staple due to its high concentration of fat.

Anyway, after a few batches, I have perfected the recipe for my "convert cookies." This eggless cookie is flavored with various spices that negate the odd taste that comes from the trimmings in the canna-oil and with flax and oatmeal, you get a good dose of fiber along with your pain relief.


As for the name: While in an extra dry area where smoking is not allowed, my friend brought some of these cookies so she would still be able to medicate. This was on a class retreat with a professor who was at one point convinced to eat a cookie.

This professor, over 70 years old, has been converted to our side as he woke up the day after the cookie, realizing he has his best sleep in years. Now he is a medical cannabis patient for insomnia and regularly utilizes THC/CBN extracts and concentrates. From what I hear, he's considering investing in a vaporizer now.


I loved hearing this and I'm so glad that my cookin' has had a positive impact on somebody's life (and more importantly I created a 70 year old stoner!!!) However, I have a more educated understanding of edible medication now.

My reflections are as follows:
-Know that it takes some time to kick in.
-With that, know that the effects are a long winded, gradual crescendo then decrescendo, rather than the immediacy and short time span of smoking
-If you're impatient and medicate by smoking after eating, you're probably going to overshadow the effects
-Edibles are far superior for pain relief and sleep aid as they are more concentrated in CBN.
-One should beware, it's easy to eat too much before going to sleep and then maybe go to their classes the following morning only to realize they are too medicated to speak in Chinese... Do I speak from experience? Eh...

For now my recipe is secret, but if you have any baking questions, I've recently dedicated a significant amount of time to developing my baking chops and while not wanting to reveal my perfected recipe, I'm willing to lend a helping hand.

2 comments:

  1. An old timer and grower, I have trouble figuring out why you consider your recipe like a proprietary secret? Do you plan on marketing your secret recipe in the future? Makes no sense other than sheer arrogance. The following points calls for real butter, however I'm sure some minor adjustments for coconut oil would follow likewise.

    * Use at least 1-2 oz. of quality doobage or if you have access, a rough QP including small leaves and stems per pound of butter.

    * Employ a sizeable pot w/lid and simmer on low heat in just enough water to keep material covered for about 14-16 hours, checking pot every few hours to add water as necessary. Primarily, heat accellerates the conversion of THC to CBN, so always keep temps low and cooking times as short as possible. Beware the whole house will reek if you don't have some serious ventilation.

    * Grab some HD rubber gloves, some cheesecloth and get a seperate smaller pot of water to a near boil. Strain buttery green glop of material in cheesecloth over a larger basin, squeezing and working green glob with gloved hands. Spread out and pour seperate pot of hot water over material a few times to remove as much butter from the muck as possible.

    * Allow strained liquid to cool and skim or pluck green butter off the top. And- Voila! Now you have a potent base to make sugar cookies (high butter/sugar to flour ratio and short bake times) or to butter your toast at breakfast. This yields far superior taste and texture results to merely dumping an oz. into your brownie mix. And brownies spend too much time in the oven anyway.

    As the author implies, lookout because after ingesting smoking just one bong pull can have a 4-5 overwhelming multiplier effect. The high is a complete body buzz far more than mentally like smoking alone and carries for many hours. Ideal for concerts or other public venues where sparking a bowl or a doob would be frowned upon or worse. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete